Yes… communication, communication, communication. Every Marketing/Product or People’s Manager will tell you that this is the key to success and who am I to tell you otherwise! It is true! The way you communicate helps other people to form an opinion about you, about your ideas or about a product that you want to sell or buy. It doesn’t matter much if you have great ideas and you can’t transmit them in a effective way. Communication is a two-way process (speaking and listening) and you can’t be an effective communicator if you don’t master both. I came across a website that gives you some tips about communication strategies. Here are my own:
- Start by always mention the points in common and accept different opinions by others
- Nonverbal communication. What you do and how you do it is as important as your words.
- Transmit something that others can find useful. Find what they need and work on it!
- Be confident when you speak, being thoughtful but not emotional
- Keep different opinions out of the personal level. “Attack” divergent opinions, not the one that represents it
- Have a logical and organized presentation and avoid mixing concepts or ideas. Try to be clear and effective
Image source: http://www.sidney.edu.au
“Remember the five “C’s” of communication – Clarity, Completeness, Conciseness, Concreteness and Correctness.”
This is, in my opinion, one of the best skills a person can have and I have to be honest, “easier said than done”. This is my own personal battle and an ongoing area for development.
EDIT: I have a couple more tips here. Thanks!